I’ll admit that these cupcakes don’t look that appetising, but they taste seriously amazing. And they’re made from carrots, so that makes them healthy too! I found the original recipe at Elana’s Pantry; she has loads of other great gluten-free recipes for anyone who’s interested. I actually ended up combining that recipe with another variation from here.
As with all of the other recipes I’ve posted, these cupcakes are paleo, so they don’t contain any gluten, dairy or refined sugars. This makes them really light, so you don’t get that awful bloated feeling after eating them that most cupcakes would cause.
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
1/4 cup honey or agave
1 1/2 cups grated carrot (about 3 large carrots)
1/2 cup pureed dates (soften dates in some warm water, then blend in a food processor, or alternatively chop them finely)
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 160 Celsius /325 Fahrenheit.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl
- Whisk the eggs, coconut oil and honey in a separate bowl
- Grate the carrots and chop the pecans
- Mix the carrots and dates into the wet ingredients, then combine wet and dry ingredients in one bowl
- Fold in the chopped pecans
- Divide the mixture between 10 – 12 cupcake liners in a cupcake tray
- Bake for 20 mins, or until a toothpick comes out dry
- Eat and enjoy (especially with a warm cup of tea)